The Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Estate has a tradition dating back to 1597, it is one of the largest and most important Estates in Germany.
The total vineyard area is 85 ha – a treasure trove of top-rated vineyard sites in the unique landscape of the Mittelhaardt – and it is here where we produce top-quality Riesling in harmony with nature. The Estate has always been considered to be a pioneer and trailblazer for change in German viticulture.
Bernhard Bürklin, the town clerk and later mayor of Wachenheim acquires extensive agricultural and viticultural holdings, and establishes the Bürklin family's viticultural tradition in Wachenheim. In the unsettled period of the Wars of Succession, the fortunes of the Bürklin family in Wachenheim are no longer traceable, it is only 200 years later that the name reappears in Karlsruhe-Durlach.
„Owner of outstanding vineyard sites in Wachenheim, Forst, Deidesheim and Ruppertsberg“ writes a wine merchant of the time about Johann Ludwig Wolf, at the same time, he is one of the richest men in the Pfalz. On his death, the extensive agricultural properties, forests and the Grohé banking house in Neustadt are passed on to his 3 children.
In 1875, the granddaughter of Johann Ludwig Wolf, and heiress to most of his wealth and property, marries privy councillor Dr. Albert Bürklin from
Karlsruhe-Durlach, laying the foundation for the winery’s current name,
Dr. Albert Bürklin is vice-president of the German Reichstag (parliament) from 1884 to 1898, and from 1889 he is the director of the Baden Court Theatre in Karlsruhe. His palace in Karlsruhe is the focal point of cultural life in the royal seat. Following his marriage to Luise Wolf in 1875 he moved to Wachenheim, and expanded the Estate to become a model of quality wine production.
The great-nephew of the same name inherits the entire property in 1924, and continues along the same path. After World War II, the lawyer and “Ökonomierat” (title awarded for outstanding public service) is particularly active in rebuilding agriculture and viticulture in the Pfalz. His entrepreneurial foresight leads him along new paths in viticulture, helping the Estate to flourish once more. The philosophy of acquiring additional vineyards, systematically expanding the cellar facilities and marketing and distributing only top quality wines ensures the Estate makes great strides both nationally and internationally during the stewardship of Dr. Albert Bürklin.
In 1990, Bettina, Dr. Albert Bürklin's eldest daughter, took over the Estate from her parents, together with her husband Christian von Guradze. Their decision to classify the vineyard sites according to the Burgundian tradition, as well as their decision to convert the entire vineyard area to bio-dynamic production methods was a revolutionary move in German viticulture.
He established the reputation of the Estate as an exemplary producer of quality wines.
From 1924 he continues with the chosen path of high-quality wine production, after the war his entrepreneurial foresight takes the Estate to new heights and international recognition.
The owner of the estate follows in the political footsteps of his ancestors.
Theodor Heuss was always amenable to good wine – here with Dr. Bürklin-Wolf,
Riesling and cigar.
Dr. Albert Bürklin with friends at the Ascot races in England.